For those of you unfamiliar with acai, it is a reddish-purple berry derived from the acai palm tree that is native to Central and South America. Acai berries are rich in antioxidants, which prevent free radical damage on the body.
- 1 banana, frozen
- 1 cup of organic strawberries, frozen
- 2 tablespoons of acai powder
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk or coconut milk (coconut milk will be a little creamier)
- 1 tablespoon of organic almond butter
- ½ tablespoon of honey
How to make:
- Add all ingredients to a blender (I like to use the Nutribullet.) Blend until creamy and smooth. Given the frozen fruit and powder, this might be a bit thicker than your traditional smoothie or smoothie bowl recipe.
- Pour mixture into a bowl and add toppings of your choice, like fresh fruit, chia seeds, unsweetened organic coconut chips and/or bee pollen. As you’ll see from the picture, I like to keep it simple and top my bowl with freshly cut, organic fruit.