I used Julian Bakery's Paleo Bread in Almond flavor since I've been staying away from grains, and I highly suggest this brand. They also make cinnamon raisin, coconut and honey-flavored bread. If you prefer to make your own paleo bread, Elana Amsterdam of Elana's pantry has a great, simple-to-follow, recipe.
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseeds
- 3 tbsp water
- 2/3 cup full-fat organic, unsweetened coconut milk (I used this one because it was the best price)
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
- 2 tbsp raw honey (preferably local to help with seasonal allergies)
- 1 tbsp unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground allspice
- ¼ tsp. Almond extract (this is very potent, so make sure to measure & not just pour in!)
- dash of nutmeg
Optional: top with pure, organic maple syrup or raw, local honey and banana (or fresh berries if you prefer.)
How to make the batter:
In a small bowl, combine the flax seeds and water, and set aside for a few minutes until the mixture takes on the consistency of a gel. Stir well.
In a large bowl, combine the remaining batter ingredients, and mix thoroughly. Stir in the flaxseed mixture and pour into a baking dish (preferably 9 x 13 inches.) Soak each side of the Paleo "bread" in the batter for a few minutes, making sure each piece is adequately coated.
Melt 1 tsp of coconut oil in a skillet over low heat. Place a few pieces of "bread" onto the skillet and cook each side for 4-5 minutes or until golden brown. Each batch will require another tsp. of coconut oil. Serve warm alone or with the optional toppings outlined above.