For those of you that read The Clean Method regularly, you might remember the unique benefits of Maca from our Superfood Powders piece. If not, no worries! Thanks to The Maca Team, I've been able to learn even more about this nutritional powerhouse and experience the plethora of benefits it can provide, first-hand.
What is Maca?
- Maca is a hardy vegetable and the world's highest-growing crop (at altitudes at and above 13,000 ft. in the Andes.)
- Maca has a small root that can be ground into powder.
- Maca's closest relatives are: mustard, turnip and cabbage.
- Maca has been treasured by Peruvians for thousands of years due to its nutritional benefits (see below) and capacity to improve fertility.
- Maca is considered to be an adaptogenic food, meaning it can help the body adapt to stress and achieve homeostasis.
- Dried Maca root is thought to be a superfood, containing the following ingredients:
- 13-16% protein
- 8.5% fiber
- 19 essential amino acids
- vitamins A, B1, B2, B3, C and D,
- minerals iron, magnesium, copper, zinc, sodium, potassium, calcium
- several glucosinolates (sulfur-containing compounds found in cruciferous vegetables)
- 20 free fatty acids and unique compounds called macaenes and macamides, which are thought to balance hormones in men and women
- improve fertility
- boost stamina
- build muscle
- provide a nutritional boost
- increase libido
- improve circulation
- balance hormones
- elevate mood (possibly reduce depression)
- support mental clarity / focus
Maca is especially amazing for women -- by balancing estrogen and hormonal levels, it can enhance our natural curves, increase our athletic performance, manage hot flashes, reduce hormone-related acne, improe skin elasticity, promote regularity of our menstrual cycles and boost fertility.
Why do I love The Maca Team's (link) Maca products?
- It's a family run company passionate about preserving and sourcing only the best quality Peruvian Maca.
- Their superfood Maca products are certified-organic, fairly traded, non-GMO, fresh and potent.
- They work with co-ops in Peru that grow only organic Maca products -- free of pesticides and chemical fertilizers.
- All of their products are tested for quality and pass a Certificate of Analysis (COA.)
- They only sell superfood Maca from the current year's harvest (which is traditionally harvested between June - August.)
- They ensure fair prices for everyone (from farmers to customers.)
- They are the first company to offer all types of superfood Maca in glycerin extract form.
- The Maca Team has a highly knowledgeable customer service team that provides fast shipping and friendly, prompt service.
- They have a great rewards program. Click below to join!
- Organic Raw Red Maca Root Powder
- Black Maca Capsules
- Red Maca Liquid Extract
- Yellow Maca Root Chips
I chose mostly Red Maca products because Red Maca powder has been shown to contain higher levels of nutrients, antioxidants and phytonutrients (including alkaloids, tannins, saponis and steroids) than other Maca root colors. Most people find the taste to be milder and sweeter (I couldn't really judge because I took Black Maca in the form of capsules, but either way the Red Maca Liquid Extract tasted a little bit nutty and absolutely delicious.)
After just a week of testing these products, I already began to notice benefits:
I struggle with depression and am diagnosed with fibromyalgia, which can often contribute to daytime sleepiness. The Red Maca Liquid Extract, specifically, gave me a nice burst of energy to start my day. I also felt more focused and balanced (possibly my hormones.)
Looking for a natural energy boost and an enhanced sex drive? As they did for me, The Maca Team will guide you through the best form and color of Maca for you.
Questions, comments, concerns? Leave a comment below! We'd love to hear from you!