We live in a world where most of us don´t take enough time for ourselves, never mind our eating habits. Thus, many of us face the effects of a poor diet like feeling tired most of the time, with low levels of natural drive The good news is you can make easy changes to your daily routine to avoid feeling like that. In this article, we will explore 5 essential daily habits for optimum health.
You might ask yourself why you should turn these simple steps into habits? Because success depends upon solid habits! How long does it take to create a habit? Science tells us it takes about 21 days to create a new habit, though of course, it can vary from person to person.*
Improving my eating habits has had a tremendous effect on my mood, energy and drive. Since I've transitioned to veganism, I aim to inspire others to incorporate positive changes in their life to achieve optimum health. For more of my content and healthy infographics, be sure to check out my Instagram: @plantsforfit
THE TOP 5 HEALTHY HABITS TO ADD INTO YOUR DAILY ROUTINE - STARTING TODAY!
1. Drink 1-3 cups of water every day after you wake up in the morning! In my opinion, this is the easiest to do right away since you don´t need any preparation time. Drinking water right after waking up speeds up your metabolism and rehydrates your body since you lost some water during the night due to sweating. Our bodies consist of 65% water so they require lots of it (at least 8 cups a day) to work optimally.
2. Eat 1-2 handful of nuts every day! You don´t need to implement this habit early in the morning but you should implement it at some point throughout your day! Nuts are high in many phytonutrients like zinc, magnesium, potassium, and provide essential fatty acids that your body cannot produce on his own (like omega 3!) Omega 3 is essential for a healthy heart and healthy brain, and both organs are essential for a healthy life! According to research nut consumption appears to reduce the risk of stroke and can lower the risks of dying prematurely!* If you're allergic to nuts, don't worry. You can get Omega 3's from other food sources like fish (such as salmon and sardines) and seeds (like Chia and Flax.)*
3. Eat your fruits & veggies! This is probably an obvious one but like your mom used to say when you were young, "Eat your vegetables to grow strong and healthy!" As a guideline, per day consume 2-4 servings of fruits, 2-3 servings of dark green leafy vegetables like broccoli or kale and as much of the other vegetables you like e.g. bell peppers, carrots, zucchini...
4. Eat more whole foods instead of processed foods! I promote a healthy vegan diet comprised of WHOLE FOODS. That may mean to you that you choose baked potatoes over fries or that you eat a self-made vegan lentil burger instead of some store-bought vegan meat replacement or some veggie burger at McDonald´s. The better the options you choose the better you will look and feel.
5. The last one is exercise! The beauty of exercise is that it comes in many forms. Personally, I go to the gym on a regular basis and train every muscle group with progressive overload in order to make some VEGAN GAINS! If that doesn't appeal to you, add a long walk (with your pup or alone) to your daily routine. No matter what you do, just aim to stay as active as possible. Remember, exercise is not just useful for burning calories; it has a ton of other benefits including improving your cardiovascular health and endurance.
I hope you will find my top 5 essential, healthy habits for achieving optimum health invaluable. A warm thank you to @thecleanmethod for letting me contribute this article to their website. Just remember: everybody starts their journey from somewhere so don't get discouraged if incorporating these healthy habits takes time. I promise it will pay off!