One of my favorite things about embracing a more natural beauty routine is the fact that you can use household items - like groceries - to create your own products!
From the wind and sun this summer, my skin needed some brightening. I decided to play around in the kitchen, mixing some full-fat greek yogurt with other ingredients. After toying with a few different combos, here are the ingredients for the yogurt face mask that worked best for me. Of course, I hope you love it, too!
DIY Greek Yogurt Face Mask
- 3/4 cup of full fat greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp. of honey
- a dash of cinnamon
- a dash of turmeric
- juice from 1/3 lemon
- a splash of hot water (see directions below)
- I blended all of the above in my Nutribullet, which I also swear by to make quick smoothies in the morning, but you could also simply mix the ingredients yourself with a large spoon.
- After blending or stirring the mixture, let it sit out at room temperature for about 10 minutes.
- Then, add in a splash of hot water to the mixture, stirring one more time.
- Apply directly and immediately to face and neck!
- Leave the face mask on for 15 minutes and rinse with lukewarm water to remove. You might consider using a washcloth to remove all of the residue. I feel so luxurious when I use my extra soft-cotton Kate Spade one!
The greek yogurt has a great cooling effect and creates a nice base for the mask. The honey is antibacterial - great for any of you struggling with breakouts or acne (nearly all of us do at one point or another!) The cinnamon has a nice brightening effect, as does the citrus from the lemon. And last but not least, the turmeric, a staple in my spice cabinet, has amazing anti-inflammatory properties to calm and regenerate the skin.
On Creating Your Own Combo or Buying a Natural Mask
As always, feel free to get creative with your greek yogurt mask combinations! If you have avocado in the house, feel free to throw that in as well! Full of healthy fats, like Omega 3's, avocado is super nourishing and hydrating - especially beneficial for dry, summer skin.
If you don't want to make your own face mask (let's face it, we're not all that into DIY) but are interested in trying natural, yogurt-based products, Zoet Bathlatier offers a gentle, yet revitalizing, honey and yogurt mask that I highly recommend!
Have you tried this greek yogurt + honey face mask? Have you created your own combo? Tell me what kind of natural, DIY face masks you're making in the comments below!